Saturday 24 July 2010

Painted Lady


I had a butterfly farm from my brother for a present. I had it for ages before getting around to sending off for the caterpillars.
They arrived in a little pot and grew dramatically over the next two weeks into huge caterpillars feeding off the special food at the bottom of the pot.
Once they became chrysalids I moved them to the pop up mesh container where over the following week or so not a lot happened until one morning they broke out the chrysalids as butterflies one by one.
Two days later I let them out into the garden.
The whole process was very exciting and amazing to watch. It was like having a pet for a few weeks and a very proud moment letting them out into the wild for the rest of their lives - even though I understand they don't actually live that long :-(

Posted by ShoZu

No comments: